Monday, December 14, 2009

Pored too much clorox (bleach) on my 2 baby red eared sliders tank?

what can i do, is that bad for them.|||why are you puting bleach in there, you know better

vinegar water mix -- the answerer above has it right

there are many uses and it is non-toxic!

good luck

have a good night|||I%26#039;ve heard alot of ppl use a 10% bleach 90% water solution to be safe. You should definitely rinse thoroughly until you can%26#039;t smell bleach anymore.


Lol wtf all the thumbs down? Bleach can be watered down-and rinsed off. Never use bleach ON your turtles. I think the ppl who gave me thumbs down assumed I meant it was safe for use ON turtles-which I never insisted! Bunch of dumb-a$$ed idiots! I didn%26#039;t think I%26#039;d have to spell it out, I didn%26#039;t think anybody could be that stupid! I was wrong..

Bleach in any form should never come in contact with your turtles. If used on a glass terrarium-and pet owners who aren`t ok w/ their house smelling like turtle shet will tell you-one part bleach 10 parts water. Then rinse everything off at least twice until you can put it right up to your nostrils and not smell bleach.

Turtles kept in small spaces, unless you terrarium was the size of a pond get very dirty. What most ppl say is %26quot;Oh ponds are filthy%26#039; don%26#039;t understand is that:

1.It rains where turtles live, adding fresh water

2. There are other things in the pond that are part of an ecosystem that limit bacteria

3. There are no walls to hold in contaminated air.

Anyone who%26#039;s washed their own clothes will know a 10:1 Water bleach solution is not that potent and can be easily rinsed-any lower in bleach and you could drink it

If you%26#039;re not going to take my advice-listen to the guy that recommended vinegar-or the guy who had turtles for 30 eared sliders are very hardy and can live 20-40 years|||are the turtles in water with bleach? if so, then take them out immediately. Bleach will kill a baby turtle if they are exposed to it. Please, next time use a 1:4 mixture of vinegar. It won%26#039;t harm them. Bleach will.|||in one of your question%26#039;s you said you have had a view turtle%26#039;s for a copple of years well i dont think so.and if you did god help this one.

oh ye to the question and answer well just rince it out for 5 min or so|||Just rinse very thoroughly.

Yes it%26#039;s bad if you don%26#039;t rinse it out. But after you rinse it it%26#039;s okay.

Usually you don%26#039;t need to use bleach in cleaning a tank, it%26#039;s kind of drastic.|||rinse the cage til the smell of bleach is gone then let them soak in water to get the bleach off of them|||uh.. bleach is very bad.

why did u put bleach in the tank?

to clean it just wipe it down with a majic eraser. and replace the water. the majic erasers have been tested and are safe for fish and reptiles.|||I have had 2 for 36 yrs. they need light lots of water to swim and a rock or platform to get out on to dry their shell by using a tank light or real light. The love to bask in the sun and when there are 2 or more they stack themselves one on top of the other..

Feed all lettuce, but no iceberg it has no nutritional value. Feed them feeder guppies or feeder goldfish. or any fish for that fact.

Fact: male sliders have long front toenails.

Life span 25 plus yrs..

Common Health Problems

If you take proper care of your red-eared slider by providing excellent housing, nutrition, lighting, and heating, it is unlikely to ever become ill or injured. However, it鈥檚 still important to familiarize yourself with ailments common to sliders so that you can quickly identify them in your own slider, should it become ill. The following are some of the most common medical problems among red-eared sliders.

Fungal Infections

Fungal infections are fairly common among red-eared sliders, especially younger ones. If you notice what looks like a light layer of cotton on your slider鈥檚 shell or eyes or in its mouth, this is most likely some form of fungal infection. Although their appearance can be alarming, most infections in their early stages are fully treatable at home. If a fungal infection remains untreated, however, it can spread across the entire body and cause serious harm to your turtle.

To treat a mild fungal infection, immerse your red-eared slider in a warm saltwater bath for about half an hour each day, using a soft sponge to gently scrub the infected regions. You can also treat patches of fungus with topical applications of a mild antiseptic, such as povidone-iodine. As long as the problem isn鈥檛 severe, you should notice signs of recovery within a day or two, and a full recovery in about 10鈥?4 days.

If your turtle has a persistent fungal infection that home treatment isn鈥檛 curing, take it to the vet for treatment. Several medications are available that can address a fungal infection if it hasn鈥檛 spread too far.

Respiratory Infections

Slider turtles and other aquatic species are susceptible to respiratory infections. Most respiratory infections that can affect sliders are mild and easily treatable in their early stages, but there are also some particularly virulent infections that can kill a turtle very quickly without veterinary attention. Sliders usually develop respiratory infections when their tank is too cold.

Symptoms of an infection include a runny nose, wheezing, lopsided swimming (an ailing lung changes the turtle鈥檚 buoyancy), lethargy, and a refusal to eat. If you identify the illness in its early stages, you may be able to treat it by removing the sick slider from its quarters into a new, clean tank (especially if you keep multiple sliders, since the majority of respiratory infections are contagious) and keeping it a few degrees warmer than normal. Warmth is the most crucial factor in treating respiratory infections in the home. If the condition persists for more than a few days or worsens, bring your slider to your veterinarian, who will treat the infection with antibiotics.

online %26quot;; can help determine what it really is.. and get your meds without a RX from

** this could be from stress or not enough light. I have had 2 for 36yrs! I also have 5 and 7 yr old..

plus contact these society%26#039;s in your area for qualified reptile vets


good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment